Area 1: Infrastructure
Focus One: Address Funding and Implementation Issues
Related to the Levee
- Identify potential funding sources on which to sell bonds, and determine payback period for bonds
- Identify a plan to allocate the costs of the project to the primary beneficiaries
- Develop and implement a communication plan to let residents know why the project is being undertaken, the source of funds that are being used and why, and the rationale for allocating the costs of the project to the primary beneficiaries
Focus Two: Address Infrastructure Challenges
- Review and update the Capital Improvements Plan, prioritizing improvements and planning for preventive maintenance.
- Evaluate the level of general fund support devoted to infrastructure, planning for possible increase.
- Develop and implement a communication plan to let residents know what infrastructure projects are being undertaken, when, and how they are being funded, and the rationale for this approach to addressing infrastructure needs
Area 3: Develop Management Resources
Focus One: Clearly define critical service and cost issues and revenue streams to support each. Determine if change in current funding is appropriate.
- Identify, evaluate and prioritize funding sources for consideration.
- Support statewide efforts to increase revenue sharing funds or to allow local sales taxes.
- Review options for pension management and planning for the unfunded pension liability challenge facing the City now.
- Develop and implement a communication plan to let residents know why we would need to increase revenues and the rationale for choosing the sources that we have.
Focus Two: Develop and Implement a Two-Way Communications Plan
- Assemble a team to evaluate communication needs of the City, to review options for managing those needs and to collaborate with the Public Information Officer to draft an Information Plan.
- Implement the Information Plan, including the potential hiring of a communications specialist and the aggressive use of press releases, social media, and public presentations about all issues of the City.
Area 2: Economic Development
Focus One: Strengthen & Diversify the Economy
- Market the Business Park, focusing on commercial and light industrial development.
- Encourage and support the expansion of existing businesses and/or the development of new businesses in Frankenmuth.
- Review the zoning ordinance to provide for greater development flexibility and to increase residential density.
Focus Two: Communicate the Importance of Economic Development Initiatives
Develop and implement a communication plan to let residents know what economic development initiatives are being undertaken, when, and how they are being funded, and why economic development is important to community development.