Home Fire Safety Tips
Throughout the House:
- DO install a smoke detector on every floor.
- DO plan your escape routes in case a fire starts.
- DO install residential fire sprinklers.
- DO NOT smoke in bed.
- DO NOT place heaters within three feet of flammable materials.
- DO NOT use heaters to dry clothes.
- DO NOT use extension cords with portable heaters.
- DO NOT leave heaters unattended or go to sleep while they are on.
- DO unplug heaters after you turn them off.
In the Living/Family Room:
- DO NOT put ashtrays on chair and sofa arms.
- DO NOT run electrical cords under rugs, over nails, or in high traffic areas.
- DO NOT leave cigarettes unattended burning in ashtrays.
- DO NOT staple electrical cords to walls or otherwise pierce the insulation.