Frequently Asked Questions

If I see suspicious persons or activity, what should I do?

Dial either 911 or 311 depending on the urgency of the activity. Give the Communications Specialist a description of the person or the activity and they will dispatch an officer to the location. You may remain anonymous if you wish.

If I see a crime in progress, what should I do?

Do not try to apprehend the subject or take matters into your own hands. Call 911 immediately and give the Communications Specialist as much information as you can. Please be as accurate as you can in giving the precise address of the crime so we can respond as quickly as possible. You are much more valuable as a good witness.

How do I report a fire, medical or police emergency?

In an emergency, call 911 from any phone. Be prepared to give:

  • the nature of the emergency
  • your location and the location of the emergency
  • who you are
  • any suspect information available

I was a victim of a crime. What should I do?

Notify the Frankenmuth Police Department immediately. Call 911 for emergencies or 311 for non-emergencies. Do not disturb any evidence. Information that would assist police in resolving the case:

  • name of victim
  • exact location of the incident
  • injuries or need for medical attention
  • description of the scene
  • description of any suspect
  • description and license numbers of any involved vehicles

How do I fill out a police report?

You can either come to the Police Department at 240 West Genesee in Frankenmuth or call (989)-652-8371 (or 311) and an officer will respond to your location.

How do I obtain a copy of a police or accident report?

You must wait three working days from the date of the incident. Please see our Services page for further information.

How can I get a copy of a police/accident report and when can I pick it up?

The administration office is open Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm. You will need to come to 240 W. Genesee Street to drop off the form. Please allow at least 24 to 48 hours before coming in to pick up a copy of your police/accident report. It is always best to call in advance to see if the report is ready to be released. You may print off the forms by visiting our Services page.

How do I apply for a position with the Police Department?

Applications are available at Frankenmuth City Hall, 240 W. Genesee, Frankenmuth, or are available online! Please see our administration menu for police officer opportunities or our divisions menu for police reserve officer opportunities.

What can be done about the cars speeding on my street?

Call the police department Patrol Division at (989) 652-8371. Your complaint will be received and every effort will be made to monitor the traffic on your street. It is helpful if officers may use your driveway to park on.

Where can I pay my traffic ticket?

You may pay a traffic ticket by reporting to The Saginaw County Court House M-F 8:00am to 5:00pm, 111 S. Michigan, Saginaw, MI.

Who do I contact to contest a traffic citation?

If you wish to contest a citation, you may contact the Traffic Violations Bureau at the Saginaw County Courthouse, 111 S. Michigan, Saginaw, MI. Their telephone number is (989) 790-5363.

Does the police department do house checks while the residents are away on vacation?

Yes. You will need to print off the home vacation check request form and we will check your residence while you are away and contact you if there is any problem. For the form or further information please see our Services page for further information.

I have property that was picked up by the police, how can I get it returned to me?

Call the police department during the hours of 9:00am to 5:00pm M-F at (989) 652-8371 and set an appointment with the property officer.

Where can I find the current list for sexual offenders/predators who live in my area?

In order to view those individuals who have been reported to the Michigan Sex Offender Registry as being sexual offenders or predators, simply click on the link below and follow the instructions as indicated. This database provides the most current list available for this information. The web site address for this information is:

Who do I call for an animal complaint?

Call 911 in the event of an attack or 311 in the event of a loose animal. An Officer will respond to take your complaint and typically forward the matter to Saginaw County's Animal Control Officer. To reach animal control directly you may dial (989) 797-4500 or you may visit their website: Saginaw County Animal Control

Are your license plate tabs good until the end of the month or on your birth date only?

Registrations expire on the DATE of the registered owners date of birth. There are a few exceptions. For example, trailer plates are now non-expiring.

What is the new seat belt law?

This is answered best at the Michigan Legislature Website Basically:

  • Child under age 4 must be in car seat anywhere in the car
  • under 16 years -over 3years, belted anywhere in the car
  • 16 years and over, belted in front seat only.
  • Driver will get the ticket for violations by under 16 year-old offender.
  • Any un-belted passenger 16 years and older may get their OWN ticket.

Can a police officer issue traffic tickets in a parking lot of a local business?

A police officer may issue several types of parking violations in a privately owned parking lot that is open to the public such as the mall parking lot. Examples include the enforcement of handicapped parking, careless driving and parking in fire lanes. Officers can also enforce a number of misdemeanor traffic laws such as reckless driving, driving with a suspended license, open intox, or driving under the influence.

Does the Frankenmuth Police Department offer safety tips for bicyclists?

Yes, we do! Please see our new section: Bicycle Safety Tips.